- Nate Silver’s revamped FiveThirtyEight blog made it’s debut this week. His post, What the Fox Knows, explaining the impetus behind their mission and the value of “data journalism” is worth a read.
- @econtalker had a heated, but interesting conversation with Jeffery Sachs on the Millennium Villages project. Jeff responds to episode with Nina Munk on her book critical of the project’s impact, The Idealist: Jeffery Sachs and the Quest to End Poverty. Healthy skepticism of foreign aid is a good thing, but my take from these episodes is that the Millennium Villages project has measured, positive impact. This said it is clear that further evaluation from impartial party is required.
- I’m drudging through a couple thick and juicy papers on self-regulation:
- Hall, P. a., & Fong, G. T. (2007). Temporal self-regulation theory: A model for individual health behavior. Health Psychology Review, 1(1), 6–52. doi:10.1080/17437190701492437
- Mann, T., de Ridder, D., & Fujita, K. (2013). Self-regulation of health behavior: social psychological approaches to goal setting and goal striving. Health Psychology : Official Journal of the Division of Health Psychology, American Psychological Association, 32(5), 487–98. doi:10.1037/a0028533